Monday, September 15, 2008

Games Day 2008

Doesn't time fly? It doesn't seem like 12 months have passed since I put up an early post on this blog about Games Day 2007, and here I am about to commence with my write-up of Games Day 2008...

So, anyway, to get to the point... Yesterday I headed up to Birmingham for a couple of hours to immerse myself in all things Warhammer and Warhammer 40K, catch up with old friends, make a few new ones and even talk a bit of business.

Games Day was bigger than ever, now occupying the NEC's Hall One, as well as the Arena and Pavilion. There were the usual participation games, pre-release models, opportunities to find out more about how Games Workshop's games are created, brand new computer games to test run, and, of course, the latest Black Library products available a good month or more before they'll be out on your local high street.

It was in the BL's signing area that I spent most of my time. BL's top authors - Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill - had their own signing tables with queues that had to be seen to be believed. They were there all day as well, with only a few minutes off for lunch for good behaviour.

But how was it for me? Well I caught up with BL editors Lindsey Priestley and Nick Kyme, talked Doctor Who with top scribe (and all round ace bloke) James Swallow, waved nonchalantly at Graham McNeill, didn't even attempt to chat to Dan Abnett, but instead spoke to his wife and editor Nik Vincent about grammar and style (and our respective kids), got excited about all things steampunk with BL head honcho George Mann, reminisced about the good ol' days with Paul Sawyer (one time White Dwarf editor and now of Warlord Games), got up to speed with what artist extraordinaire Karl Kopinski is doing now and met Rob Clark - who recognised me from my blog and with whom I discussed both the past, and the possible future, of Fighting Fantasy.

So, all in all, a good day.

And to end, here are some snaps from the day...


James Swallow - good times!



The must-see GD 08 centrepiece modelling masterpiece - the Dwarf port of Barak Varr



A life-size Blood Ravens Rhino APC!



Karl Kopinski - talented artist and all round top bloke



Dan Abnett - a very busy man

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Parker said...

Hi Jon,

Glad you enjoyed Games Day '08. Sounds like a blast this year. Pity I missed it this time around, but I couldn't get over from Tokyo for it. Perhaps we'll meet at the next one.

Anyway, the main reason I'm writing is to tell you that I finished reading your novel Unnatural History this past weekend and enjoyed it immensely. I particularly liked the mix of dinosaurs and steam-age London. Loved the reference to Conan Doyle's The Lost World.

If you haven't read Dinosaur Summer by Greg Bear, stop what you're doing right now and go get a copy. You'll bloody love it!

Keep up the great work!

September 16, 2008 at 5:30 AM  
Blogger RobC said...

Nice to meet you yesterday, finally! I think I've been trying to say hello for the last couple of years, but either missed you in the crush or been elsewhere. Let me know how you go with those links.

September 16, 2008 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Green said...

Hi Steve

Glad you enjoyed Unnatural History, and thanks for the recommendation.

How's Gunheads coming along? Is it finished?

September 16, 2008 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Green said...

Hi Rob

Good to meet you too.

Will let you know how I get on with the links. So far they're swallowing all my online time!

September 16, 2008 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Steve Parker said...

Gunheads is indeed finished, Jon. Can't wait for it to hit the shops (March '09). Lots to be getting on with between now and then, though.

And I'll have to pick up Leviathan Rising sometime. The cover has me hoping its all sea monsters and Captain Nemo types. :)

Abaddon have a nice line up going, don't they?

September 17, 2008 at 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home