Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Where I work

Inspired by the article in the Guardian about Writer's rooms (specifically that of Hunter Davies), which in turn reminded me of a post on David Bishop's blog some time ago, Ihave decided to reveal to the world my personal work space.

But first off, here's Hunter Davies' writing room...


... and here's where David Bishop likes to work.


And this is what I like to call my office, but which is, in reality, one end of our loft conversion guest bedroom.


I should start off by explaining that my desk isn't usually this tidy. However, I am between projects at the moment. Yesterday I finished going through my editor's comments on Human Nature, and later today I'm starting my next short story (which is called Christmas Past, at the moment).
.
On the desk itself, along with my laptop, is the copy-edited proof of Human Nature (my ninth novel), the synopsis for Evolution Expects (my tenth), various notes to do with Christmas Past, and a print-out of a synopsis for a project I can't talk about yet.
.
The books you can see are a mixture of my own and other useful reference books, that relate to the work I'm currently engaged in, along with the obligatory stationery items. There's also my inflatable Dalek and 2000AD subscribers' mug!
.
The ring binders stored to the left of my chair (as you look at the picture) are to do with the admin side of being a freelance writer, or contain notes from past projects or others still as yet to see the light of day. Then there's my stereo and CD collection.
.
The picture you can see on the wall above my desk is of a Black Templar Space Marine by Kev Walker and above the stereo you can just see the frame of another picture - this time, it's Adrian Smith's cover for Iron Hands. What you can't see (because I was standing in front of it when I took the picture) is Adrian Smith's original artwork for Magestorm which I now proudly possess. There are also more bookcases and more books. But then what would you expect of a writer's workspace?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

It's so tidy! I think i need to learn a lesson from you and sort out my workspace. Tidy desk, tidy mind eh?!

November 5, 2008 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Green said...

I thought the old adage was, 'A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind!' ;-)

November 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger Al said...

Ha! or maybe the sign of someone with too much time on their hands...

November 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Green said...

I wish that were the case. As it stands I have a short story and a sample to write within the next fortnight before cracking on with my next novel!

How's your new book going?

November 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home